Become an Online Notary in the state of Oregon; It’s an excellent way to provide yourself with some supplemental income. With the right training and qualifications, you can become an eNotary in Oregon and start working with clients right away!
How do I start?
You’ll first need to submit an application and pay a one-time fee. Once your application is approved, you must also pass a background check and take the eNotary examination; This is a test of state notarization rules and regulations.
Once you pas, you’ll get an Oregon Notary Commission certificate. Before you can get going, though, you have tomato sure you have all the necessary supplies. Yes, even online notarization has certain equipment needed! This includes fast internet and a reliable computer and printer. While some of this can be done on your phone, like scanning, it’s a good idea to invest in yourself and buy a good quality webcam.
What are the benefits of becoming an eNotary?
Looking for better hours? Or an easy way to add income with flexibility? ? This is a great way to do both. It’s also a way to offer convenient and secure services to clients on a new platform they may not even know about yet! Additionally, online notaries are in high demand due to the convenience they provide, from conducting remote meetings to handling transactions without requiring someone to be physically present.
Finally, it’s the perfect time as 1.25 billion notarizations are done annually in the Unites States and more and more of these notarizations are moving online.
Is eNotarization legal in Oregon?
Yes! Oregon was the 35th state to permanently legalize Remote Online Notarization (RON) in June of 2021 through Senate Bill 765. Previously, House Bill 4212A temporarily allowed remote notarization during COVID-19, so it’s something that Oregon notaries were already used to. Oregon Secretary of State requires that online notaries acquire additional training and certification to perform RON and in Oregon.
What Are The Requirements To Become an eNotary In Oregon?
In order to become an online notary in Oregon, you need to meet the following requirements:
- Be a resident of Oregon and at least 18 years old
- Pass a background check
- Pass the online notary exam
- Have the necessary equipment such as a reliable computer, internet access, printer/scanner, webcam or video camera and specialized software that allows for remote notarizations.
- Pay a one-time fee to the Notary Division when you apply for certification.
- Be able to read and write English fluently
- Have a valid driver’s license or state-issued ID card.
- Be the holder of an active Oregon Notary Commission
Once all of these requirements are met, you can apply for an online notary commission with the state of Oregon. Once approved, you will be able to perform online notarizations for clients in Oregon and other states that recognize online notarization.
How to Become a Traditional Notary in Oregon (Get your Notary Commission)
These are the general steps to get an OR Notary Public commission in most Oregon counties:
- Make sure you meet all of your state’s qualifications (see below).
- Take the Oregon state-required training course and pass the exam.
- Complete a application through the Oregon Secretary of State.
- A criminal background check will be performed when you submit your application.
- If your application is approved, you’ll receive an email with your Oath of Office attached.
- Print the oath and sign it in front of a Notary.
- Submit this to the Secretary of State with the $40 application fee.
- Once your oath is filed, your Certificate of Authorization and Commission Certificate will arrive by email.
- Submit your Certificate of Authorization to a maker of rubber notary stamps.
- Obtain E&O insurance (optional, but highly recommended).
- Take continuing education or consult Notary experts for guidance (optional, but highly recommended).
After you have obtained your stamp and your notary journal you should be ready to start notarizing in the state of Oregon
How Do You Become An Online Notary In Oregon?
As of June 15, 2021, Oregon Notaries have been able to apply to perform remote online notarizations (RONs). If you want to become an OR remote Notary, you will need to take the following steps:
- Hold a traditional Notary Public commission.
- Complete the state-required RON course online.
- Complete the Remote Notarization Notice form.
- Get set up with a RON technology provider and obtain an electronic stamp and signature.
- Submit the form and a copy of your electronic stamp and signature (output sample form) to email@example.com.
- Wait for an acknowledgment that will either approve or deny your request.
- Once you have received approval, you may begin performing online notarizations.
Once you have become a Oregon online notary, you will be able to provide secure remote notarial services for Oregon residents. Always ensure that you follow the guidelines and laws set out by the state, as well as your selected RON vendor.
For any confusion in the process, we recommend joining the BlueNotary Mastermind Facebook Group full of notaries from each state who have been through the exact state processes and can help guide you along the way.
What Steps Should You Take To Remain Compliant With Oregon Laws?
In order to remain compliant with Oregon laws, online notaries must take the following steps:
- Keep up-to-date records of all your remote notarizations.
- Verify the identity of each signer using an approved identification method such as a driver’s license or passport.
- Maintain a physical presence in the state of Oregon during remote notarial acts.
- Maintain a secure environment for digital documents.
- Keep your Notary commission active and in good standing. Make sure you are up-to-date on all the current laws and guidelines.
- Store all records and documents securely according to the requirements set out by the Oregon Secretary of State’s office.
- Stay up-to-date on your continuing education requirements.Follow the guidelines and processes set out by your chosen RON vendor.
By following these steps, you can ensure that you remain compliant with the laws governing online notaries in Oregon.
What to Expect From the Job?
As in other professions, the amount of work an online notary receives can vary widely. Generally the busiest times for notaries are during tax season, when documents such as tax returns need to be signed and notarized. However, there is also a steady demand throughout the year from businesses and individuals in need of authentication services. There are many businesses that need consistent notarizations.
It is important to remember that when working as an online notary, you are responsible for adhering to the regulations set forth by the state. This includes making sure documents are properly completed and witnessed and ensuring they contain all of the necessary information. Additionally, the most successful online notaries spend some time doing their own client acquisition and sales funneling.
How Much Can You Expect To Make?
When you create an account with Blue Notary to get started, you can expect to earn around $22 for online notarizations. As you gain more experience and have notarized more documents, you will be able to earn even more by taking on loan signing packages. Thus, you will be able to earn a very decent income – all from the comfort of your home office.
BlueNotary also has the option for you to Invoice Your Clients Outside of BlueNotary at your rates at a cost of just $3 per notarization for their Pro-Hybrid members. This makes your earnings very flexible depending on your ability to build a network.
Can I do Online Notary in Minnesota?
Yes, you can do online notary in Oregon. In order to become an online notary, you just need to meet the state requirements for certification and have a commission from Oregon. You can also join the BlueNotary Notary Mastermind Group in order to get advice from Oregon notaries who have already been through the process and will share exactly what you need to do. They’ll help make guide you through working with your SOS. Becoming an online notary can be a great way to supplement your income and make a positive impact on the community.
As an online notary, you get to decide which service provider to use for finding clients. Blue Notary is the best option as we make it super easy for you to onboard and start notarizing documents online. We have training videos and a signing simulator to get you comfortable with the process. We also have a facebook group full of notaries to help you get through the process and walk the path they’ve helped trail before.
You would be able to earn money with each document you notarize. There are no hidden charges that you need to worry about as we have a very straightforward policy. To register and get guided through the process hop on our BlueNotary Notary Registration Page.