ds-3053 ds-3053

How to Fill out FREE DS-3053 Passport Parental Consent Form

If you need a passport for your child, you probably have some important travel plans. It’s crucial to fill out your application correctly. Getting a passport for your child requires the correct, properly notarized documents. Here’s what you need to know about using a DS-3053 Form.

What Is a DS-3053 Form?

This form’s official name is Statement of Consent or Special Circumstance for Minor Passport. The DS-3053 form is for situations where only one parent or guardian is able to fill out the paperwork.

In most cases, both parents must apply for a minor child’s passport. If the other parent isn’t available for any reason, you must use the DS-3053 form.

The government considers any child under 16 a minor.

You can now get documents notarized online from the comfort of your home or office. It’s easy to notarize your DS-3053 form and your other passport paperwork when you use an online notarization platform.

Filling out the DS-3053 Form in 6 Steps

  1. Fill out the DS-3053 form, but don’t sign it. You will date and sign it in front of a notary in a live session.
  2. Choose whether you want a passport book or a passport card. A passport card is less expensive and quicker to get. A passport card is only valid for entry by land or sea. You can’t use a passport card for international air travel. If you plan to fly internationally, you must get a passport book.
  3. The other parent must fill out the Statement of Consent section. The statement of consent allows you to complete the application for your child.
  4. A licensed, commissioned notary must fill out Section 3.
  5. Sign and date the DS-3053 form in front of the notary.
  6. Include the DS-3053 form in your passport application.

Here’s a full video rundown of what you should expect when filling out a DS-3053 form.

What about Security?

You may be concerned about protecting your child’s identity and rightfully so.  If you are getting your document notarized online with BlueNotary, you can be assured that the highest level of industry security is being used to keep all parties protected and safe at all times.



Q1. What is a DS-3053 form and when is it required?

The DS-3053 form, for when only one guardian can apply, is necessary for minor passport applications under special circumstances.

Q2. How can a parent get the DS-3053 form notarized?

Parents can use online platforms like BlueNotary to easily notarize the DS-3053 form from home or office.

Q3. What are the steps to fill out the DS-3053 form correctly?

Complete the form without signing, decide on passport type, get the other parent’s consent, notarize, sign, and submit with the application.

Q4. Can the DS-3053 form be used for a child to travel internationally by air?

Yes, with a passport book, which requires a DS-3053 if applying with one parent’s consent for a minor under 16.

Q5. How does BlueNotary ensure security during the online notarization of a DS-3053 form?

BlueNotary employs top industry security measures to protect all parties’ identities and information during online notarization processes.

[sibwp_form id=6]